Medina Spirit’s victory helps trainer Bob Baffert set the record with a seventh Kentucky Derby win. The “Fastest Two Minutes in Sports” has come and gone, and Bob Baffert’s Medina Spirit is walking away victorious after snagging first in the 147th […]
More On 2017 sports illustrated swimsuit
- Max Scherzer Rushes to Be With His Wife in Labor After Pitching Complete Game
- Inter Milan Wins Serie A Title, Breaking Juventus's Nine-Year Run
- A Star in Stripes: Football Official Desiree Abrams Is Breaking Into the NFL's Boys' Club
- Twitch Star Colludes With Diamondbacks to Follow Roommate's Date at Chase Field
- Manchester United–Liverpool Match Postponed as Fan Protests Breach Old Trafford
Medina Spirit’s victory helps trainer Bob Baffert set the record with a seventh Kentucky Derby win.
The “Fastest Two Minutes in Sports” has come and gone, and Bob Baffert’s Medina Spirit is walking away victorious after snagging first in the 147th annual Kentucky Derby.
Medina Spirit pulled off a shocking upset over crowd favorite Essential Quality as trainer Baffert set the record with a seventh Derby win. The horse had sixth-best odds at 12-1, and held off Mandaloun in the final stretch.
After last year’s race was bumped to September due to the COVID-19 global pandemic and held at very limited spectators and extensive safety protocols, this year’s event was held at 40-50% capacity with spectators socially distanced and wearing masks.
The official attendance of the Derby was 51,838 spectators—the largest crowd at an American sporting event since the pandemic began. It tops Alabama’s spring football game, which hosted 47,218 fans several weeks ago.
The 1 1/4-mile race marks the first leg of the Triple Crown, followed by the Preakness Stakes and the Belmont Stakes. Coming into the Saturday showdown, Essential Quality was the heavy favorite. Eighteen of the 20 contenders are descendants of Secretariat, who is largely considered the greatest racehorse of all time.
More Kentucky Derby Coverage:
- Capturing the Horse Who Broke the Triple Crown Drought
- Pleasant Colony and the Crown of Thorns
- Forde: From American Pharoah to Wool Sandals, the All-Time Best and Worst Kentucky Derby Names
- Bob Baffert Grins and Bears Another Horse Racing Scandal