Chelsea may have held Manchester United to a goalless draw at Old Trafford, but Blues boss Frank Lampard was left frustrated after VAR failed to overturn the decision not to give his side a penalty during the Old Trafford clash. […]
More On Sport
- 'I really want to watch': UFC great Khabib wants Ukrainian star Usyk to fight heavyweight champ Fury as he names best four boxers
- 'See you soon, FATHEAD': Desperate Khabib rivals Diaz & Ferguson claim UFC champ has NOT retired for good, question perfect record
- No go for Mo: Zenit DENY reports linking Russian champions with '$6.5MN-A-YEAR deal' for former Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino
- 'It was the WORST camp': Khabib coach confesses UFC champion was HOSPITALIZED with MUMPS before missing training with a BROKEN TOE
- ‘We missed you so much’: Fans anticipate Alina Zagitova’s return after she shares video of new program
Chelsea may have held Manchester United to a goalless draw at Old Trafford, but Blues boss Frank Lampard was left frustrated after VAR failed to overturn the decision not to give his side a penalty during the Old Trafford clash.
Lampard made clear his frustration after the match following an incident where Blues skipper Cesar Azpilicueta was grabbed by United captain Harry Maguire as the pair challenged for a header in the penalty area.
The incident wasn’t penalized by the referee, and even though the video assistant referee (VAR) reviewed the incident, no decision was made to award the London side a penalty.
Also on rt.com
“I thought it was a clear penalty. I couldn’t see it at the time from where I was standing and those ones are hard calls for the referee,” said Lampard after the match.
“It’s why we brought VAR into the game, but VAR was very quick to dismiss it.
“They should have taken time and advised the referee to look at the monitor. If he watches the monitor, he has to give the penalty, so it’s confusing. There’s a frustration because the rules seemed to be moving in the right direction.
“The referees were looking at the monitor a bit more at the start of the season. The person on the pitch should always take first responsibility and that was given back to them with the monitor.”
However, Chelsea’s performance was enough to frustrate United, who remain winless at home this season. United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said his team missed the energy of the United crowd, but said there were positives to take from the game, especially given the fact that he was able to give new signing Edinson Cavani his first runout in United colors.
“He showed in glimpses what he can do,” enthused the Norwegian boss.
“He’ll give us a presence in the box. He’s an experienced center forward, and the more we get the ball into him in and around the box we’ll get goals from him.”
Also on rt.com