Khalifa Haftar, commander of Libya’s Eastern Forces National Army (LNA), has rejected a ceasefire announced by the internationally recognized GNA government. Al-Jazeera reported the demolition LNG spokesman Ahmed said rival forces are moving towards the west of the war-torn country. […]
Khalifa Haftar, commander of Libya’s Eastern Forces National Army (LNA), has rejected a ceasefire announced by the internationally recognized GNA government.
Al-Jazeera reported the demolition LNG spokesman Ahmed said rival forces are moving towards the west of the war-torn country.
In a media briefing, he said that the eastern forces were ready to respond to any attack in the coastal cities of Sirte and Jofra.
The first statement came after Khalifa Haftar called on the Libyan government to declare a ceasefire and lift the oil embargo, although no response had been forthcoming.
“The measures that Al-Siraj has signed are for media marketing, even though the army and weapons have been mobilized to attack our forces in Sirte,” said Ahmed Masmari.
“If Al-Siraj wants a ceasefire, he should order his forces to retreat instead of advancing towards us in Sirte,” he said.
It should be noted that the speaker of the parliament of the eastern region of Libya, Aguila Saleh, also welcomed the announcement of a ceasefire by the GNA, although Aguila Saleh is a supporter of Khalifa Haftar.
However, Ahmed Masmari did not comment on the welcome statement made by Aguilah Saleh and his ally Egypt.
According to Al Jazeera, Commander Khalifa Haftar used to play an active role in the previous talks in Libya and he used to play an important role, but now it seems that he has been deactivated.
Commander Haftar had earlier in January this year rejected the efforts of Turkey and Russia, while the GNA government had expressed support for the signing of the agreement in Moscow.
It should be noted that the GNA had announced parliamentary and presidential elections on August 22 with an immediate ceasefire across Libya.
The Libyan government also demanded the withdrawal of troops from the city of Sirte, raising hopes of restoring peace in the country’s nine-year civil war.
The report said that GNA chief Fayyaz al-Siraj had instructed all security forces to call an immediate ceasefire and end the ongoing operations across the country.
He said the announcement was aimed at ensuring full sovereignty within Libya and the withdrawal of foreign forces.
Aguila Saleh, speaker of Libya’s parliament, a supporter of Commander Haftar, called on both sides to adhere to the declaration, saying a ceasefire would not allow foreign forces to intervene in Libya.
On the other hand, Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi in his statement welcomed the declaration of a ceasefire in Libya, where Egypt is in support of Commander Haftar, along with the United Arab Emirates and Russia.
Similarly, the Libyan government has the support of Turkey and Qatar, and Turkish forces are present, thanks to which great achievements have been made.
It should be noted that the operation against Muammar Gaddafi, who ruled Libya for a long time, was launched in 2011 with the support of the NATO alliance and he had to step down, after which the atmosphere of chaos in the country increased.
Muammar Gaddafi’s long-ruling Libyan government was overthrown during the 2011 Arab Spring campaign.
Western nations took part in operations against Muammar Gaddafi, but after his ouster, tensions in Libya escalated and civil war broke out, with militants strengthening on the one hand and General Khalifa Haftar forming his own militia on the other. Established his government on one side.
General Khalifa Haftar’s militia laid siege to Tripoli in April this year and disrupted the system of government, with the support of key countries in the region, including Saudi Arabia, Egypt and the United Arab Emirates